Wednesday, August 29, 2012

First Attempt in Learning Photography


“Photography is the magic that can turn moments into eternity.” —Next Stop, Happiness.

In all honesty, I regard myself as someone who doesn't have a special eye in taking splendid photos.

Nevertheless, I am grateful for the opportunity to explore photography in a different manner. It is because now, I am already armed with the basic techniques that one must apply in this kind of craft.

This is my first time to take pictures following a set of rules/techniques. The experience was really hard and at the same time different because I became conscious of what I should shot. I don’t know where to start. In fact, I don’t know where I got the courage to shot the “at-least-good-pictures” that I have.

I was pressured though, knowing that some of my blockmates are already familiar with this exercise but eventually I have push myself harder to come up with this 10 shots which are for me, the best pictures that I took for this activity.



TRANCE
TRANCE
Before taking this picture, I have already a technique in my mind that I should use. 
It was supposed to be the light and shadow technique. 
But after seeing the shot that I‘ve done, it turns out to be that I am already confused because I can also associate this shot  in to the “frame technique”.

Trance because..
  • I am confused while I was taking this picture.
  • I felt sleepy when I saw this picture.



THE CAVE
THE CAVE
Of all the pictures, this is what I really like the most. 
I love how the bluish clouds complement with the green leaves. I shot this without having any technique in my mind. 
This was a random picture, I guess.

The Cave because..
  • When I saw this picture, I felt I was inside a cave, staring the wide blue sky out there.






DOMINOES
The technique I used for this picture was “pattern, shapes repeating.” 
I believe I have executed the technique correctly. This is my first photo taken after going out of the classroom.

Dominoes because..
  • For me, it looks like a pile of dominoes arranged in a zigzag way.






5 AHAS
5 AHAS
This is the weirdest of all my pictures. 
I used the “detail, texture” technique for this picture.

5 Ahas because..
  • The 5 sprouting branches looks like a scaly head of snake. It’s like they are coming from under their own world. 








TRAPEZOID
TRAPEZOID
I took this picture out of desperation. It is because I still don’t have any pictures that falls under the category of “framing”. 
Actually, I don’t know if I was successful, in creating this shot as a “framing shot”.

Trapezoid because…
  • For me, the frame created looks like a trapezoid.






MISUNDERSTANDING

MISUNDERSTANDING
I took this picture because I feel like they are of the same appearance to me which will fall under the category of “pattern”. 
But after seeing it closely, I don’t know anymore what technique this picture is trying to illustrate.

Misunderstanding because…
  • They are far from each other. 
  • There are a distant feeling involved which suggests misunderstanding.



FALLEN

FALLEN
The technique I used here was “fill frame”.
I was fascinated by the color mixtures of the pebbles that’s why I took this picture.

Fallen because…
  • The dried leaves in the picture looks like it have just fallen from the trees. 








NOWHERE

NOWHERE
The vaguest of all.
I tried to exemplify here the technique of “leading lines” but it seems that it is invisible.

Nowhere because…
  • The lines are nowhere to be found. And it goes in a direction where no one knows.
















TIME MACHINE


TIME MACHINE
A combination of three: depth, framing and light & shadow.

Time Machine because…
  • When I saw this shot, I feel like I was inside a time machine, seeing the present state of the other world.









UNTOLD
Untold
UNIQUE VANTAGE POINT OF A GRASSHOPPER wandering in the fields of St. Scho Manila.
I put the camera on the field, right in the soil and click the button right away and this is what I’ve got.

Untold because…
  • It gives a feeling of mystery of what grasshoppers are trying to look or stare at.





After the 45-minute photography exercise, I realize some values that one must possess in order to be a good photographer. These are the value of patience and dedication to what you are doing.
In some instances of my journey in finding good shots, I was a bit distracted because I was surrounded by a lot of people who were noisy and busy. I also got excited which resulted into a blank state of mind. I don’t have any idea of what I should shot. My only guide was the sequence of technique shots that I should apply in taking pictures.




Some Realizations:
  • Be careful of what and how I will shot something.
  • Be always mindful of all the techniques that has been discussed.
  • Apply it to daily life as much as possible especially when I have the opportunity to take pictures.
  • Take pictures as daily as I can.
  • Photography is not just storing memories but also taking pictures with a sense of good quality.
  • Appreciate all the beautiful scenery and surroundings that is within our reach of sight.


Thoughts-After-The-Exercise:
  • It gave me new insights in seeing photography in a different perspective both a medium of entertainment and a medium of information such as slogans.
  • It helped me to explore the different side of my self. I discovered that I can be also a good photographer if only I can learn by heart the values and techniques and also to give my 101% effort and dedication.

(c) smramos 

Thank you Sir Rondina for sharing your advices and tips for this meaningful exercise! J
Two thumbs up! J

-Shiela Marie S. Ramos
ABMC 202C

No comments:

Post a Comment